Indoor Air Quality, also known as IAQ, is more important than ever in today’s homes.
In fact, the EPA has identified 5 categories of concern that all homeowners should be know about.
- Carbon Monoxide in low levels cause headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea, and fatigue. High levels can be Fatal.
- Microbial Growth can cause sinus and respiratory infections and in severe cases infertility.
- Allergens and Particulates such as pet dander, pollen and smoke can cause coughing, congestion, sneezing, and asthma.
- Infectious Illness: Germs, viruses and bacteria are naturally carried in from outside, can become airborne and circulated.
- Toxic Compounds like cleaning chemicals, paints, and furniture can produce a toxic setting that can lead to an allergic reactions.
It is estimated that 90% or more people spend most of their time indoors and are being exposed to these dangers daily. Better insulated energy efficient homes make it harder for fresh air to enter the home and increases the risk of asthma, allergies, and/or other symptoms and illnesses.
Take a look at the video below to see what we can do to help with you and your family.
Call us today to for your Free IAQ in home Evaluation and start breathing easier.What’s the Big Deal with Indoor Air Quality?
Because waiting for your home comfort system to breakdown will not only cause you discomfort and frustration, but likely a bad decision made in a hasty emergency situation. Just like with any other mechanical equipment, your HVAC system works great when it’s newly installed (if done properly), but as time passes, the efficiency of the system decreases. While regular maintenance does extend the life and performance of your system, that old A/C just isn’t cutting it anymore. In fact, it may be costing you more to run and maintain through higher energy bills and costly repairs than it would to invest in a new system.
**Cue in Savings** Technology is great! Especially when it makes our lives easier and helps us save money! There have been many recent advancements in the HVAC industry to help you, save on energy costs, by creating higher efficiency systems that actually use up to 20% less energy than your existing system. Our industry has developed cutting edge technology for today’s comfort systems, such as…variable speed compressors that sense what’s needed to cool your home, variable speed blowers to automatically reduce the air requirements, super highly efficient heat pumps, and Wi-Fi thermostats; to name a few, all which dramatically reduce the amount of energy required to run your system while providing greater comfort and ease of operation.
New advances in technology have also introduced a new, eco-friendly refrigerant called R410A. R410A is a result of the Montreal Protocol Amendment which established a requirement for the worldwide phase out of ozone depleting HCFCs…our old R22 refrigerant. Although the amendment occurred in 1992, it allowed for a timely phase out of the R22 which was used in all A/C units. That “phase-out” is soon ending, as of 2020 (little more than 2 years from now), no more R22 freon will be sold, thus repairs on those old units will not be possible.
So, what does this mean for you? Most likely, your old A/C system is using R22 refrigerant and although it may be working now, the cost to service your system will certainly increase and may not even be possible (in the near future) due to halted production of R22 refrigerant.
Now is the time to start planning for that replacement unit. When your old system does go out, you will have no option after 2020 to “choose”, only the new R410A units will be available and it will be necessary to change out the complete system as the old air handler units are not compatible with the new R410A ones.
So… “Why replace my unit if it still works?” By reviewing my options now in an unhurried situation, you’ll be better prepared to make an informed, planned, and wise decision for your family’s comfort for years to come.Why Replace My A/C if It Still Works?
- Prevent Frustrating Breakdowns:
- Have you ever heard of the saying, “When it rains, it pours”? It seems A/C breakdowns always occur at the worst time, however, regular maintenance can help reduce the possibility of major breakdowns by ensuring that your system is continually operating at peak performance.
- Protect your Family and Home:
- Our technicians perform a complete safety inspection with each tune up to make certain that your system is running safely. If he finds anything potentially hazardous he will immediately bring it to your attention to prevent any damage or loss to your home or family.
- Protect your Warranties:
- You’ve made an investment in your home when you purchased your A/C system and most systems come with a 5 or 10 year manufacturer’s warranty. However, all manufacturers now require proof of regular maintenance (inspection reports or invoices detailing maintenance from a certified technician) in order to file and honor any warranty claims for defective parts. Failure to perform regular maintenance could void your warranty.
- Save some Green:
- With regular maintenance your system is running at peak performance, which means it won’t have to work as hard to cool or heat your home. This translates into less energy required to operate your system. Who doesn’t love that?
- Peace of Mind:
- You can rest easy knowing you’ve had a fully trained professional perform your system tune up. In fact, we are so confident in our work that we guarantee that your system won’t break down between your tune up and the end of this season, or this service is Free.
Now is the best time to take advantage of our Fall Savings!
This deal won’t last long. Get our $187.00 Super Tune-Up for just $89!Top 5 Reasons to Have Your A/C System Tuned Up:
Now days, thermostats come in all shapes and sizes. You have your basic mercury which have all but disappeared, then your basic digital and your digital programmable and your digital WiFi and even your smart thermostats. Needless to say, your options can be overwhelming!
Never Fear… Hess is here!
***That is to help you decide which thermostat is best for you.***
- First off, we’ll go ahead and knock out the basic mercury => can we say health hazard?
Let’s take a look at your basic digital thermostat. These are perfect for those of us who are inclined to raise and lower the temperature manually whenever we get the chills or hot flashes. These thermostats are super easy to use, have an easy to read display and are compatible with most basic air conditioning systems.
Next up is the digital programmable. This baby is great for those who are on the go and don’t have time to remember to turn up the A/C on your way out to work so you aren’t cooling an empty house. Most programmable thermostats are configured to either a 5/2 day or 7 day program. What 5/2 day means is you can set your thermostat to turn off and on at certain times for Mon-Fri (5 days) and off and on at certain times on Sat & Sun (2 days). The 7 day programmable works under the same off and on configuration but is great because you can program off and on times for each individual day. This thermostat is also super easy to set up and use. It is compatible with most air conditioning systems and with the set programs, you’ll have a flash back to those infomercials where you… “Set it and Forget it!”
Finally we have the WiFi and smart thermostats which can be grouped together because most smart thermostats are WiFi compatible and most WiFi thermostats are smart. These are the best option not only for the techie but also for busy families who may have set a program but forgot to update it when they left to that out of town game. These thermostats can be accessed from anywhere there is an internet connection as long as your home WiFi is turned on and your thermostat is connected. This means you can change your thermostat setting with your cell phone, monitor the settings from your PC at work, and even track your heating and cooling trends year round. These WiFi and smart thermostats are compatible with almost all A/C systems and are very user friendly. They also have an easy to read display, which you may find that you never use because its so much easier to change the setting with your cell from your bedroom than it is to get up and walk down the hall and through the kitchen to change the setting. You’ll love never having to do that again!
For more detailed information – Take a look below and call us to schedule your thermostat upgrade today!
My thermostat can do what?!
The Solar Eclipse will begin to be viewable in the RGV beginning with a partial eclipse at 11:46am with the maximum eclipse visible at 1:14pm. The partial eclipse will end at 2:41pm. If you aren’t sure what happens during a total solar eclipse, here are the details.
- A total solar eclipse happens when the moon appears to completely cover the sun in the sky. This happens when the moon aligns at the perfect angle between the sun and the earth casting its shadow over the earth’s surface.
- Only certain areas will be able to see the total solar eclipse while the rest us will only experience a partial solar eclipse.
- Total solar eclipses occur about once every 18 months and partial eclipses occur on average 2-5 times per year.*
- The next total solar eclipse will be visible in the U.S. in 2024.
If you plan on viewing this awesome celestial event, make sure you take the proper safety precautions. This includes purchasing special solar viewing glasses to protect your eyes. If you aren’t into making the expense, you can also make a DIY solar eclipse pinhole projector with a cardboard box, some aluminum foil, and scissors. Remember, NEVER look directly at the sun with the naked eye or through binoculars or a camera lens without a solar filter. Also keep in mind keep your pets indoors to protect their eyes too. Remember: Looking at the solar eclipse without solar viewing glasses or special solar filters can cause serious damage to your eyes and even blindness.
If you aren’t into checking this out, you can still celebrate Solar Eclipse day by taking advantage of these SOLAR Eclipse Day Deals:
Dairy Queen is offering a buy one get one. You can buy one Blizzard and get the second for $0.99. The deal begins August 21 and lasts through Sunday, September 3 at participating locations.
Denny’s is offering All You Can Eat Mooncakes for $4.00 on August 21. (Sure, they’re regular pancakes, but doesn’t MoonCakes sound so much cooler?)
Krispy Kreme changed their regularly awesome original donuts with a chocolate glaze in honor of the 2017 Solar Eclipse. These will be available on August 21.
If food isn’t your thing:
Hess Air is having a Solar Deal on their A/C tune-ups. Their regularly priced inspection is only $59 from August 21 to 25, 2017. This service doesn’t have to be done before August 25, as long as you call during the sale time and schedule your appointment.
You can also check out Nike’s store website where they have their top Solar Eclipse Picks.
*information from https://www.space.com/33797-total-solar-eclipse-2017-guide.html?ref=yfpLet’s Get Solar
Whether you looking for those special labeled pens, or that name brand back-pack, its no secret that when it comes to “back to school shopping” everyone is looking to save a little green. Take a page from our notebook and check out these money saving tips and tricks that we found helpful!
- Become a seasonal “extreme couponer”:
- Most sale papers and coupons come out in Sunday’s paper. Take a look at all those Sunday coupons and get your scissors ready.
- Clip those babys and don’t forget to check out your retail websites -> oftentimes, they have printable coupons to help you save too!
- Download retailer apps like Target’s cartwheel to save on specific items in the store.
- Also look for apps that offer rebates for shopping like the popular Ibotta that gives you cash back for specific purchases at most major retailers.
- Plan your shopping trip:
- Take a look at all the local specials and plan your shopping trip base on location and savings to help save time and fuel.
- Make a list and check it twice! It has been said, you are more likely to stick to your plan if you have your list in hand!
- The early bird gets the worm rings true. Find out when your retailer restocks their shelves and be the first in line to nab the best deals.
- Don’t wait until the last minute.
- Waiting for the line to go down will most likely leave you disappointed and coming up empty on those “back to school” specials.
- Go Big or Go Home
- Warehouse deals from places like Costco or Sam’s may cost your more upfront but pay off in the long run.
- If you aren’t sure about the school supplies, stock up on the basics like laundry detergent for those gym clothes and individually wrapped breakfast bars for when your running late.
- Don’t forget the fuel! Along with great warehouse offerings inside, most have fuel for up to $0.10 less than surrounding gas stations.
- Invest in a regular maintenance plan for your A/C and heat system.
- Regular maintenance can prevent costly and inconvenient breakdowns which almost always happen at the worst time ever!
- Maintenance plans like Hess Air’s Club Memberships offer nifty discounts for service calls and repairs.
- In addition to getting discounts, Club Members enjoy “front of the line” service, so if your A/C does happen to go out, you aren’t stuck all day waiting for the service technician. You automatically get moved to the front of the service line.
- When all else fails, look online.
- Check out sites like Amazon or Jet to score some great deals on hard to find or sold out items.
- Don’t forget, it may take a few days to get orders. The savings may be worth it, so take a minute to weigh your pros and cons before you buy.
- Auto-ship is your best friend. If you know your child is going to need tissue every 6 weeks or you’re going to need to refill the after school snack bin, you can set your auto-shipment to come as often as every week or as in-frequent as once every 30-60 days.
- Program that thermostat!
- Another uncommon way to save some green this school year is to invest in or set your already programmable thermostat.
- Now days, almost anything can be controlled by your cell phone, even your thermostat. Easily set it to turn off when you aren’t home and set it turn on 15-20 minutes before you arrive to ensure your home is the perfect temperature.
- Say Buh-Bye to higher utility bills by only running your A/C and heat when you need it.
We hope you enjoyed our best Back to School money saving tips and tricks! Keep your money for more important things like your child’s school field trip and summer vacation!
P.S. If you liked it, Please Share It!It’s Back To School!
Operation Finally Home is a national, non-profit organization that partners with area contractors to build homes for wounded,injured, or ailing veterans, surviving spouses, and families. Operation Finally Home is devoted to helping recipients custom build a mortgage-free home and re-build their lives after their honorable service in the Armed Forces. It was our privilege to partner with Operation Finally Home right here in the Rio Grande Valley. Sargent Jacob De La Garza, RGV’s Operation Finally Home recipient, stopped by our office to visit and all we can say is Thank You for risking your life for our country’s freedom. No words can describe our gratitude for him and all the Heroes serving and who have served in the Armed Forces protecting our great country.
We Salute You.Finally Home
Spring officially started two weeks ago, but for most, April Fool’s or April 1st marks the beginning of Spring. Along with the warmth of a Spring afternoon, Easter bunnies, and new Spring blooms, comes the dreaded asthma and allergy season.
If you weren’t so sure it was here, you can take a cue from spike in TV commercials advertising asthma and allergy relief medicines. The truth is that 1 out of 5 Americans suffer from asthma and allergies according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. Did you know that allergy and asthma sufferers can find some relief in their home through Indoor Air Quality Products?
Think about this, your home’s comfort system (aka: air conditioner) circulates the air in your home and that air has to come from somewhere. The home’s comfort system draws in air, ideally from the return grill where your filter is located. As the air is drawn in, ideally it will pass through the filter you have in place that will capture the large particles in the air such as pollen and dust before it becomes conditioned air through the indoor unit and circulated through the home by blowing out through your ceiling and wall grills. If you notice, I said “ideally”. This is the way a home comfort system should work but in reality, every home, duct system, and comfort system is different.
Sometimes the duct system or return grill may not be 100% air tight and when a comfort system cycles on, instead of pulling the air through the filter, the bypasses the filter and pulls air from your attic or free space from your home. What this means for asthma and allergy sufferers is that every time their home comfort system cycles on, asthma and allergy irritants have a party throughout the home and make the system less of a comfort system and more of an “un-comfort system”. But… all hope is not lost! Through advancements in technology and understanding how asthma and allergy irritants work, we are able to provide solutions to these problems by improving the indoor air quality (IAQ for short) in homes.
Although there is no cure for asthma or allergies, we offer a full line of IAQ products to help reduce asthma and allergy symptoms in the place where you should be most comfortable… your home. Call us today to discuss how we can help improve your comfort!
Spring Fever is No April Fool’s Joke